Also known as
Provide a surrogate or placeholder for another object to control access to it.
Proxy is applicable whenever there is a need for a more versatile or sophisticated reference to an object than a simple pointer. Here are several common situations in which the Proxy pattern is applicable
- Remote proxy provides a local representative for an object in a different address space.
- Virtual proxy creates expensive objects on demand.
- Protection proxy controls access to the original object. Protection proxies are useful when objects should have different access rights.
Typical Use Case
- Control access to another object
- Lazy initialization
- Implement logging
- Facilitate network connection
- Count references to an object